At 2 a.m. yesterday, my body jolted awake in a panic to the sound of a man screaming at the top of his lungs in my housing development parking lot:
“I FU**ING HATE EVERYONE!!!!”
He repeated this over and over again.
My heart pounded out of my chest.
I debated calling 911.
Debated getting up to see what was happening.
I debated until 4 a.m. when the sporadic screaming finally stopped.
Why did I put myself through such agony, dreaming up every horrible situation of what “could” happen if that disturbed man took his pain one step further to violence?
Because I was frozen.
Literally, my body when into shock.
Why do we do this – allow our emotions to take over, our brain to go into a story spiral, spinning the craziest scenarios possible?
For example, maybe you can relate to these scenarios which are less extreme than my screaming guy event:
You “heard” from a friend that someone said something about you that you are not in agreement with. Then, you start dreaming up reasons why they did this. They hate you. They are jealous of you. Gosh darn them. You are NEVER talking to them again! How dare they!
You “think” your boss is considering firing you. You are sensing that something has changed in your meetings with her. She’s quieter. More to the point. You are DEFINITELY getting fired. Oh, you should have done better in that critical presentation last week! So much for being a shining star.
If you’re anything like me, you’ve experienced some form of both of these scenarios!
Aside from the constant mind chatter that is pointless because these stories are just that – STORIES – the real problem here is that they are sucking precious energy from your soul.
Love, do yourself a favor and unwind your mind. (click here to tweet this)
I’ve discovered a few key steps that have helped me unravel the crazy brain, when it likes to take itself on an Imagination Rodeo (as one of my good friends calls it).
Here are my 3 Steps to Unwind Your Crazy Mind:
- Write down the facts. What do you know for sure?
- Remember that the Universe has your back – even if the situation is everything that you imagined (bets are hardly any of it is), everything is happening in your favor (even, if it doesn’t feel like it is!)
- Bring it back to Love. Put your hand over your heart and ask yourself what the scenario would be if you rewrote it coming from a Legit Love perspective.
Here’s what the second scenario might look like if you follow my 3 Steps to Unwind Your Crazy Mind:
- The only thing you know for sure is that something has changed in your meetings with your boss. That’s it. You don’t even know what exactly has changed, just something.
- So what if you’re getting fired? Perhaps this is what the Universe had planned for you all along. You are really, really good at what you do. If this company and your boss doesn’t recognize that, another workplace will. Hey, maybe your dream job is right around the corner. You did just meet that woman at a luncheon who works for the local nonprofit you would like to get involved in. Maybe they have a position open!
- Coming at this scenario with Legit Love, here might be some other alternatives to slow the rodeo down:
Maybe this isn’t about you at all.
Maybe your boss isn’t feeling well.
Or maybe things aren’t going great in her home life.
Maybe her boss has been putting pressure on her and she’s just tired and stressed and taking it out on you.
When you look at the scenario with Legit Love, see how easy it is to come from the heart and create scenarios that assume the best of the other person, instead of the worst?
I know it’s never painless to Unwind Your Crazy Mind, but I promise you, if you follow these three steps, even mentally walking yourself through them, you will gain your precious energy back. Your mind will no longer be occupied with frivolous, fearful, story creation. Instead, you can rest your soul with a peaceful mind. And who doesn’t want that? (I DO!)
When is a time that your Crazy Mind created a story?
What was the truth behind it all?
I’d love to hear from you in the comments section below…just login to Facebook so the comment box shows up, then leave your thoughts. Easy breezy! Let’s start a conversation!
Legit Loving you,
Did you enjoy this blog? Sign-up for my Legit Love Note emails so you don’t miss one!
>>Get my blogs & weekly Legit Love Notes directly to your email by submitting your name and email in the boxes at the top right side of this page! You’ll also score a FREE gift, my “Caterpillar Cry” Transformation Tool 🙂 Click HERE to get it now!
Feeling a calling to join the posse of Legit Lovers & amp up this Legit Love Revolution? Here are some steps to get you started…
>Ask your Facebook peeps to like the Legit Love Revolution page by copying and pasting the URL into your feed: http://facebook.com/legitloverevolution
>Tweet me a #LegitLoveRevolution note. I promise to Twitter kiss you back 😉
>Watch my keynote talk, The Caterpillar Effect: How to Let Go and Cocoon (if you #LegitLove it, share it on social media!)